More than 50,000 electrical fires occur in homes every year, according to the Electrical Safety Foundation International. These fires result in more than 1,400 injuries and almost 500 deaths each year. Gregory Tobichuk Mansfield Massachusetts recently discussed several ways for Americans to prevent electrical fires in their homes.
“The saddest part of electrical fire deaths is that they could have been prevented,” Gregory Tobichuk Mansfield Massachusetts said. “With a little more know-how, we can all work to prevent these fires and keep our families safe.”
Gregory Tobichuk Mansfield Massachusetts explained many electrical fires are simply caused by poor maintenance or zero maintenance at all. He described that regular maintenance should be performed on all electrical panels. Inspecting for faulty breakers, replacing those breakers, and removing dust, and debris can go a long way.
“It’s essential to always check for kinks in your wires. These can cause resistance, which leads to heat, and eventually causes a fire,” Gregory Tobichuk Mansfield Massachusetts said.
Gregory Tobichuk Mansfield Massachusetts also explained that keeping old appliances and equipment around too long can also cause electrical fires. Many times, fires associated with old appliances are due to faulty circuits in the appliances, electrical panels, and other equipment. Gregory Tobichuk Mansfield Massachusetts explained that if you’re going to keep old appliances around for decades, you better perform regular electrical maintenance.
“Safety codes are constantly changing, and that’s not just because officials are becoming more strict,” Gregory Tobichuk Mansfield Massachusetts said. “These codes are changing, because our appliances and electrical devices are changing, and it’s important to stay up-to-date with these changes.”
Gregory Tobichuk Mansfield Massachusetts explained that the demand for more electricity is always increasing; therefore, safety codes are always adjusting. Many older homes and businesses are using old wiring that doesn’t support new electricity demands. This can lead to excessive amounts of heat that eventually melts the wires and ignites an electrical fire. Old wire coating may only be able to undergo 200 degrees of heat, while arc flashes can lead to temperatures in excess of 1,000 degrees.
“It’s important to note that you should never put out an electrical fire occurring in an electrical panel with water,” Gregory Tobichuk Mansfield Massachusetts said. “This is why it’s so important to have a working Class C fire extinguisher in your home. However, an automatic fire suppression system is even more ideal, as it can go to work extinguishing the fire even if you’re not home.”
Gregory Tobichuk Mansfield Massachusetts explained that his goal is to inform his audience, and hopefully, prevent unnecessary fires in the remainder of 2020 and beyond.